This week at SEOPartner, we’re sharing: SEO updates that can deliver significant impact to your results, exciting changes in the marketplace to watch out for, good-to-know studies and information, and tips to try based on recent findings on search, online marketing and more.
1. Good to Know: International SEO Best Practices
Marketers aiming for audiences outside their primary market should take into consideration the following lessons on doing international SEO:
– Be aware of cultural nuances between various regions. Not all English-speaking countries are one and the same.
– Invest in localized marketing — focus on providing users localized search experiences.
– Understand how to optimize for search portals aside from Google and Bing that are popular in your target locations.
– When building on target keywords, hire a local translator instead of depending on Google Translate and other similar tools.
– Build links by pursuing link opportunities and campaigns with local media and websites in your target country.
– Make sure your website is mobile-friendly – know that in many places around the world, people access the internet exclusively via their smartphones.
2. RIP to Google’s Link Command
— John ☆.o(≧▽≦)o.☆ (@JohnMu) January 11, 2017
Google’s link command is no more. Webmasters and SEOs are advised to stop using the link command for it is no longer functioning, says Google’s John Mueller. Doing a link:www.domain.com will yield irrelevant results.
While most webmasters have stopped using the link many years ago, the link operator continued to return results, making some believe that it was still functioning properly.
Aside from the confirmation that the command is just simply not working at all for the time being, no other details have been provided, such as whether Google will soon ensure the command will yield nothing or will return a message saying it is no longer working.
3. Poll: 71% of Brands to Increase Digital Marketing Spend in 2017
— SearchEngineJournal® (@sejournal) January 2, 2017
The latest #SEJSurveySays poll reveals the following data that can guide businesses and marketers on developing their strategy this year:
– Investment in digital marketing activities will increase this year – 71% of businesses are planning to spend more on digital marketing in 2017.
– 15% plan to spend around the same amount as last year.
– 14% plan to spend less.
To maximize investment, the following digital marketing activities are worth prioritizing:
– SEO to increase website traffic
– Paid media such as PPC campaigns, paid search and display advertising to further drive more results to campaigns
– Content marketing to grow your brand and strengthen online presence
– Social media marketing – explore new concepts such as live 360-degree photos and videos and chatbot marketing
4. Google Details 5 Ways to Do Retail Better with Chrome
Retailers can make shopping more fun and convenient for their customers, and processes more efficient for their staff, by choosing to work with Chrome.
- Offer personalized shopping. Use Chromeboxes to tailor promotions for specific locations and audience segment.
- Make ordering faster. Use kiosk-based interactive menu boards based on Chrome to allow customers to avoid long lines and wait times. At the same time, automate some tasks so staff will have time to offer more specialized customer service.
- Build customer loyalty. Display relevant, local-based information in-store using Chrome digital signs.
- Manage, implement and track ad campaigns better through Chrome Device Management.
- Make processes more efficient by taking them online. Use Chromebooks for a wide range of back office work – HR tasks, computing, inter-department coordination and many more.
5. Android TV Soon to Feature Google Assistant
With reports saying that the latest Apple TV units will be featuring Siri, Android TV is expected to follow suit. Google has announced that Google Assistant is making its way to supported TVs and set-top boxes in an upcoming update.
NVIDIA SHIELD will be the first to feature Google Assistant and can be triggered by the simple command of “OK Google.” In the next months, it will also be available on AirTV Player and all Android TVs in the U.S. running on Android 6.0 or higher, such as Sharp Aquos and Sony Bravia.
Google also mentioned that Google Assistant will also be coming to their smartwatches, Android-powered in-car infotainment systems, and other devices through the Embedded Google Assistant SDK before 2017 ends.
SUMMING IT ALL UP
Here are the top headlines in this week’s SEO news roundup:
Good to Know: International SEO Best Practices. Marketers doing international SEO must take note of best practices that allow them to understand and serve audiences across the globe better.
RIP to Google’s Link Command. It’s finally official: Google’s link command is no longer working, as confirmed by John Mueller.
71% of Brands to Increase Digital Marketing Spend in 2017. An SEJ survey reveals 71% of businesses are planning to spend bigger for digital marketing activities this year.
Google Details 5 Ways to Do Retail Better with Chrome. Retailers can now offer more personal, more convenient customer services using Chrome features and products.
Android TV Soon to Feature Google Assistant. Like Apple TVs featuring Siri, the upcoming models of Android TVs will come with Google Assistant, too.